The History of Reddiford School
Reddiford Prep School was 100 years old in September 2013 and the staff and pupils past and present, together with governors and parents celebrated the anniversary by holding a variety of events. A centenary book was also produced and a copy of this was given to all pupils, staff and governors.
The Founders of Reddiford School
The school was founded on its present Cecil Park site by William and Harold White, two brothers from Devon, who opened Reddiford School together with their mother on 21st September 1913; there were just five pupils on roll. The name Reddiford originates from the old English ‘reedy ford’ which described a shallow stream reputed never to run dry situated in Postbridge, Dartmoor close to the White family home.
Miss Emmeline Mary White
Emmeline Mary White, youngest member of the family, subsequently became Headmistress of the newly established Reddiford School which proceeded to flourish under her headship. In 1935 the adjoining house was purchased in order to accommodate the growing number of pupils and an additional five classrooms became available, with a sixth being built in the garden. The picture shows Mrs White and her staff outside Reddiford School in 1938.
Reddiford in 1931
School Visits in the 1950s
Reddiford in 1959
The Friends of Reddiford 1960
The Death of Miss and Mr White
The Growth of Reddiford School
The Second World War brought about inevitable change to the school’s development, with many of the pupils being evacuated, and staff enlisted to the Home Guard; however, the family atmosphere which had prevailed previously soon resumed after the war due to the determination of Miss White and her staff together with the parents who had grown to value the warm and caring ethos that had made Reddiford so popular. Following Miss White’s death in 1972 a new classroom was built as a memorial to the woman who had worked tirelessly to create a successful school. In accordance with the wishes of the White family the school became a Charitable Trust in 1973.
Over the course of the ensuing years the school has grown and developed. Reddiford currently sits on three sites; the original site in Cecil Park where pupils in years 3 to 6 are taught, and the Marsh Road site which accommodates years 1 and 2. In 2007 a former clinic on Cecil Park was acquired by the school and has been refurbished to a high standard to provide a purpose -built facility for the pre-school and Reception pupils aged 3 to 5.
An early prospectus stated that the school’s aim was to provide high quality education which would enable each child to develop to their full potential, with particular emphasis being placed on courtesy and self-discipline. Today, more then a century on, Reddiford’s aims have remained the same, undeterred by the passage of time and today’s ever changing society.
The Building of the New Extension that opened in 1998
Reddiford School Celebrates Christmas
Reddiford School Celebrates The Royal Wedding in 1981
Reddiford School Celebrates The Queen's Golden Jubilee in 2002
The Early Years Department Opens in 2008
Reddiford School Celebrates The Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012
Reddiford School Centenary Celebrations
In 2013 Reddiford School marked the centenary of it’s founding in style. Pupils celebrated through a wide range of activities, whilst also being presented with a centenary book that not only contained records of past events but also commentaries from past students dating as far back as the 1950s about their experiences of being a Reddiford pupil. Elton John (a past Reddiford pupil) also donated a photograph to be included in the centenary book as well as a financial contribution towards a new school minibus. Governors, staff and parents enjoyed a ‘grown ups’ event, the Centenary Ball, held at Moor Park Golf Club. A real treat of an evening was had by all.